Perry Says No Plans to Leave Energy Department
By James Osborne
September 15, 2019 - Energy Secretary Rick Perry said Friday he had no plans to leave the Department of Energy, responding to longstanding rumors he was looking to find another role or leave the administration all together.
"There are rumors and rumors of rumors about my employment," the former Texas governor said at a press conference Friday. "As far as I know, President Donald Trump is very satisfied with my work at the Department of Energy and as far as I know has no intention to offer me another job. I will stay and do my work and continue to go tell the great story of American energy."
Perry is one of the longest serving member of Trump's cabinet, adopting a low-key but enthusiastic style that has melded well with the president's "energy dominance" agenda.
But when asked whether he would stay on if Trump wins reelection in 2020, he declined to answer.
"I'll let my statement stand on its very good foundation of facts," he said.
His comments came during a joint-briefing with the International Energy Agency, which has just announced it expects the United States to become the world's largest exporter of both oil and liquefied natural gas in the years to come.
"For the first time this year we saw U.S. oil exports overtook Saudi Arabia and Russia," said IEA Executive Director Fatih Birol. " They will be neck and neck the next few years, but it's only a matter of time US will be top oil exporter of the world."
The United States became the world's largest oil producer last year but had banned crude exports for decades until Congress changed the law in 2015.
"I believe America's energy success story will continue, and the best days are before us," Perry said.