MSHA Metal/Non-Metal Fatality Final Report Issued for Fatality on 12/3/2019
METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY – A contract maintenance mechanic was performing elevator maintenance when the elevator car descended, crushing the mechanic against an elevator platform. The person died at the scene on December 3, 2019.
- De-energize, lock out and tag out, and block machinery or equipment that can injure workers – before beginning work.
- Post warning signs or barricades to keep workers out of areas where health or safety hazards exist.
- Install an audible alarm to warn of impending equipment movement.
- Evaluate and correct possible hazards promptly before working.
- Train workers to use handrails and fall protection equipment during maintenance and construction activities.
Miners and mine operators can find safety and health information on MSHA.gov.