Final Report Issued for July 15, 2019 Mine Fatality
April 1, 2020 - On July 15, 2019, a plant manager stumbled on a drill bench resulting in a compound heel fracture. While undergoing preoperative procedures for his injured heel on July 19, 2019, he became unresponsive and passed away the following day.
- Identify and address hazards. Always be aware of your surroundings and any hazards that may be present. Establish and discuss safe work procedures.
- Conduct workplace examinations and risk assessments to identify and correct hazards before working on any task. Examine work areas for hazards
- Provide sufficient illumination in all work areas.
- Train all miners, especially workplace examiners, to recognize and understand safe job procedures. Communicate and correct hazards in a timely manner.
- Prevent slips and trips. Clear the area of tripping and stumbling hazards. Maintain traction by ensuring walkways and footwear are free of potential slipping hazards such as dirt, oil, and grease.
- Stay focused on your work for your safety and the safety of your fellow workers.
Miners and mine operators can find safety and health information on MSHA.gov.