MSHA Fatality Alert - March 18, 2023
May 3, 2023 - On March 18, 2023, a miner died when the mine roof collapsed during the installation of standing roof support (crib) as part of the longwall recovery cycle. The accident occurred in an area adjacent to a longwall shield.
- Follow the approved Roof Control Plan.
- Design, install, and maintain roof support where miners work or travel.
- Never travel or work under unsupported roof.
- Conduct a visual examination of the roof, face, and ribs immediately before starting work in an area.
- Be alert to changing roof conditions, especially during longwall recovery.
Miners and mine operators can find safety and health information on MSHA.gov.