November 3, 2023 - On April 11, 2023, a miner died when a 12-foot by 4-foot by 5-foot rock slab slid out of the rib from the hanging wall and crushed him. The miner was installing a bolt in the rib of a slusher stope.
- Design, install, and maintain suitable ground support where miners work or travel.
- Examine and test ground conditions immediately before starting any work in an area and as conditions warrant during the shift.
- Periodically review mining methods and ground support to ensure they are suitable for conditions.
- Be alert to changing ground conditions.
- Train miners on how to identify hazardous ground conditions and install suitable support.
Miners and mine operators can find safety and health information on MSHA.gov.