Proposed MSHA Cuts Framed as Efficiency Move, Officials Say
May 20, 2026 - Mine Safety and Health Administration cuts are intended to improve efficiency rather than reduce mine safety, according to U.S. Department of Labor Acting Secretary Keith Sonderling.
“Even with the president’s budget is framed, it’s more on efficiency, it’s more on technology, while continuing to make sure the mines in West Virginia and around the country are safe,” Sonderling said.
Sonderling fielded questions Tuesday afternoon from U.S. Senator Shelley Moore Capito during a hearing before the Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies, which Capito chairs.
The proposed Fiscal Year 2027 budget for the U.S. House of Representatives would reduce funding by 10%, decreasing it from $387.8 million in Fiscal Year 2026 to $348.2 million. The Senate budget proposal would maintain funding at the same level.
Sonderling said officials are currently exploring technology that could help make mine inspectors more efficient.
“We’re investing in technology in these helmets that use AI (artificial intelligence), and heat mapping and can actually see violations and transcribe the violations, that’s going to make our investigators 30 percent more efficient,” he said.
Mine inspectors help prevent accidents, protect miners, and maintain compliance with federal regulations. They also conduct on-site inspections, check mining equipment, review records and training procedures, investigate accidents and deaths, issue citations and orders, and provide technical assistance.
Sonderling said officials are also looking to hire approximately 100 new inspectors.
He said the mining industry’s injury rate reached a record low in 2025 and that officials want to maintain that momentum.
“And that’s really what matters to us, and we’re going to continue doing that by really working with miners, really working out compliance assistance,” Sonderling said.
He emphasized that safety would remain the agency’s top priority.
“Mine health safety is one of our top priorities at the Department of Labor, especially with the president’s commitment to bringing energy and energy manufacturing back to the United States,” Sonderling said.
Capito posted on X saying “Mine health safety is a top priority for me, and I am glad to hear the USDOL’s plans to improve miner safety and increase preventative measures. I will continue to push for ways to support our miners, and look forward to collaborating with Acting Secretary Sonderling on these efforts."
There have been coal mining deaths in West Virginia so far this year. The first occurred on April 2 at the Panther Eagle Mine in Raleigh County, when Aaron Warrix, 53, was struck by a section of roof rock while setting mine posts. Warrix was a shuttle car operator.
The second incident occurred on April 3 at the Ohio County Mine in Marshall County, when Darin Reece, 36, was crushed between two pieces of machinery while working on a shield hauler.