Saving U.S. Coal
From a peak in 2008, our great American coal industry production has declined from 1.172 billion tons per year to an estimated 679 million tons in 2019. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) forecasts that production in 2020 will be 603 million tons. Moody's has forecast that coal's share of electricity generation will fall by 2030 to 11% with 25% of production being for export, thus requiring production of 375 million tons of coal.
This sharp decline is due to the War on Coal introduced by the Obama administration and an abundance of cheap natural gas. The War on Coal is over but its remnants are still having a devastating effect on the industry. Power generators are claiming that CO2 is a pollutant and generators using coal are being shut down.
According to leading gas driller, Range Resources Corporation, in their company presentation of October 23, 2019, to support sustainable growth natural gas prices will soon require pricing above $3.00/MM Btu, the point that coal can successfully compete with gas. Thus, the threat from gas will eventually disappear. The threat from the remnants of the War on Coal will also subside. Thus, the greatest single threat remaining to the American coal industry will be the CO2 Endangerment Finding.
CoalZoom in partnership with the Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change is launching a campaign, Saving U.S. Coal, with the key element being the overturning of the CO2 Endangerment Finding. A proposal entitled The Greening of Planet Earth Confirmed: Repealing the 2009 EPA CO2 Endangerment Finding can be reviewed by clicking here. Also, a personal message and plea for support of this endeavor from Fred Palmer, Senior Fellow for CO2 Policy at our Center, can be viewed here.
The CO2 Endangerment Finding was determined by President Obama's EPA in 2009 when it was claimed that CO2 emissions resulting from the combustion of carbon-based fossil fuels were a "current threat" to human health and welfare. The so-called Endangerment Finding was not the result of scientific study but instead was the result of flawed computer models. EPA also failed to take into consideration the very significant benefits that result from CO2 emissions.
For the U.S. coal industry to survive, the CO2 Endangerment Finding must be repealed quickly. Please take the time to read the documents linked above and consider joining us in our efforts at Saving U.S. Coal. There is no time to lose!
LIST OF ARTICLES
• Saving US Coal Team Files Submission in Opposition to FERC Adopting "A Price on Carbon"
• CO2 and a Warmer World - Two Positives for Mankind
• In 1981 CEQ Was Wrong; in 2020 CO2 Endangerment is, Too
• Greening of Planet Earth Confirmed: Before It's Too Late!
• Joe Biden and CO2 As an EPA Air Toxic - The Main Event?
• Plans to Eliminate Reliable Coal-Fired Electricity Debunked by Powerful New Evidence Filed With EPA Challenging Its CO2 Findings
• Powerful New Evidence Filed with EPA Challenging CO2 Findings to Eliminate the Ongoing Threat to US Electricity from Coal
• Second Petition Filed to Save US Coal Industry
• CO2 Watch - A President Biden Will Shut Down Coal Plants
• Saving US Coal - Second Petition Filed With EPA to Defend Coal
• Saving US Coal CO2 As an Air Toxic?
• Saving US Coal - Coal is Life Sustaining
• Saving US Coal Can Prevent the Destruction of Coal
• Saving US Coal Campaign Keeps Its Promise
• Saving US Coal Campaign Reaches Major Milestone
• Repeal of EPA Endangerment Finding for Greenhouse Gases Filed
• Saving US Coal - A Path Forward to Preserve the Existing Coal Fleet
• Saving US Coal - Taking Out CO2 Endangerment
• Overturning Obama's CO2 Endangerment Finding is the Only Way to Save US Coal, Says Bill Reid
• Saving US Coal Video No. 5 - CO2 Emissions, Fossil Fuel Use and Human Longevity
• The Coal Industry Needs Everyone to Stand Together Now, Says Reid
• Stand Up and Fight for Coal, Says Reid
• "Saving US Coal" Video No. 4 - CO2 Benefits to Plant Water Use Efficiency
• Saving US Coal - Watch This PowerPoint
• Fred Palmer Describes the Need for Financial Support for "Saving US Coal"
• Fred Palmer Discusses Plan for "Saving US Coal"
• "Saving US Coal" Video No. 3 - The Fortuitous Link Between CO2 Emissions and Economic Growth
• "Saving US Coal" Video No. 2 - Is Rising Atmospheric CO2 Causing Dangerous Global Warming?
• Fred Palmer Explains "Saving US Coal"
• "Saving US Coal" Campaign Needs Your Financial Support
• Internationally Renowned Scientist, Craig Idso, and Respected Industry Leader, Fred Palmer, are Key Players in "Saving US Coal" Campaign
• "Saving US Coal" Campaign to Repeal the CO2 Endangerment Finding
• CoalZoom Launches Campaign Called Saving US Coal